In the Philippines, a Web Developer’s entry level salary ranges from P13,000 - P31,000 per month and may even go up to P44,000 per month for those highly-trained and experienced. Overseas, such as in
the U.S. & Canada, the annual average salary for a web developer is $4,273 or C$3,845 per month.
Basic Educational Requirement
There is no real educational path to follow to become a Web Developer, however, there are some institutions and college programs which could help an individual become a Web Developer. Courses in web design, internet development, computer science, engineering and business will all be useful to prospective web developers, most of these programs last between one and three years.
Cost of Training *
Web Design and Development training courses for Web Developers normally ranges from P2,495 - P8,495 and these courses are being offered by the Philippine Center for Creative Imaging.
Web Developers work for companies with company and/or products/services websites, or for those interested in the information found online. They can also work freelance and have their services contracted, or work for a web design firm.
Prospects for Career Advancement
For Web Developers who keep up to date with the latest technology, the prospects for advancement are good. They may be given supervisory responsibilities. Some may move into other aspects of computer programming, like software development, operating systems, and database programming.
Nature of Work
A Web Developer designs, creates, produces and maintains web pages using relevant software packages.
- Designs Websites;
- Maintains and upgrades websites;
- Posts database information on sites;
- Runs test to ensure web programs and computer systems are working properly;
- Finds and corrects faults in websites;
- Prepares reports on websites; and
- Maintains and upgrades websites.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledgeable in different programming languages and techniques;
- Genuine interest in computers and computer capabilities;
- Should be adaptable to new things;
- Work well under pressure;
- Must be organized; and
- Ability to work on a number of projects at once.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Creative and technical aptitude;
- Good communication skills;
- Can work well in a team;
- Good attention to detail; and
- Committed to understanding new technology and upgrading skills.
* Based on 2011 rates.