Hotel Resevations Officer
The monthly salary of Hotel Reservation Officers range from P11,000 for starters to P19,000 for those with experience and training.
Basic Educational Requirement
A Bachelors degree, preferably in Tourism or Hospitality Management is required.
Cost of Education *
A degree in BS Tourism costs around P24,000 to P47,000 per semester in recognized institutions and between P10,000 to P15,000 in public institutions.
The growth in tourism-related services will provide various employment opportunities for the hospitality segment of the tourism sector. Included in this segment are front office personnel specifically taking charge of hotel reservations. Opportunities for overseas employment are also available given the increasing demand for tourism skills. The Asia-Pacific, the Middle East and the USA are major overseas destinations. Hotel Reservation Officers can work in the following industries: Hotels and Restaurants, Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities and, Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Hotel Reservation Officers may be promoted to the next career or the job level as middle managers or specialists after acquiring the required work experience as well as the core competency requirements of the higher position. Aside from technical skills, one must have the ability to manage organizational operations. Middle Managers can move further to a Chief Executive position if they have already acquired the demonstrated ability to lead large organizations and have tested competencies in finance, marketing, logistics, and people management.
Nature of Work
A Hotel Reservations Officer obtains necessary reservations for guest and clients; they make and confirm reservations for accommodation in hotels and other lodging places.
- Answers inquiries regarding such information as accommodations, procedures, and policies ;
- Confers with customers to determine their service requirements;
- Contacts customers to confirm reservations;
- Plans accommodation details;
- Prepares customer invoices;
- Provides customers with travel suggestions and information such as guides, directories, brochures, and maps ;
- Gathers and compile visitor statistics; and
- Obtains current advertising literature from travel operators.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services;
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, and other office procedures and terminology;
- Knowledge of circuit boards, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including application and programming;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; and
- Ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Active initiative;
- Customer service-minded;
- Highly organized and have an eye for details;
- Patient and responsive to client’s needs; and
* Based on 2011 rates.