Salaries of Cooks vary greatly according to the type of establishment in which they work and the recipes they know. Salaries are usually highest in highly rated restaurants and hotels. The monthly salary of Cooks ranges from P10,000 to 15,000 initially.
Basic Educational Requirement
There is no specific educational requirement for Cooks. However, most employers prefer to hire high school graduates, and those who had several years of work experience, on the job-training, and/or vocational training.
Cost of Training *
The cost of training in commercial cookery starts at around P6,000—P7,000. Basic kitchen skills and techniques in preparing stocks, soups and sauces are learned here. This cooking course will also teach the participants new recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner through the hands-on session.
Employment growth will be spurred by increases in population, household income, and leisure time that will allow people to dine out and take vacations more often. In addition, growth in the number of two-income households will lead more families to opt for the convenience of dining out. Demand for Cooks have grown steadily in and outside the country, be it restaurants, hotels, and cruise ships.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Advancement opportunities for Cooks depend on their training, work experience, and ability to perform more responsible and sophisticated tasks. A number of them may advance to Head Cook, Chef and specialist chefs, Sous-chef and Executive chef. Others go into business as caterers or restaurant owners, while others become instructors in culinary schools.
Nature of Work
Cooks prepare and cook a wide variety of food in hotels, restaurants and other establishments, on board ships and in private households.
- Prepares and cooks complete meals or individual dishes and foods;
- Cooks special meals for patients as instructed by a dietician;
- Oversees subordinate personnel in preparation cooking and handling ;
- Plans menus;
- Determines size of food portions;
- Monitors and orders kitchen supplies;
Skills and Competencies
- Management of material resources;
- Management of personnel resources;
- Implementation and planning.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Have a keen sense of taste and smell;
- Can withstand the pressure and strain of standing for hours at a time;
- Manual dexterity;
- Can withstand constant pressure to prepare meals quickly;
- Work well as a part of a team;
- Neat and organized; and
- Physically fit (free from communicable diseases).
* Based on 2011 rates.