Locally, salaries for a CAD Operator at the entry level ranges from P10,000 to P24,000 per month. Aside from the basic pay, a CAD Operator also gets allowances and other incentives. In UAE, a CAD Operator receives as much as AED 42,000 - AED 108,000 per month.
Basic Educational Requirement
The minimum educational requirement is a college education from any discipline. However, most employers prefer those who have a background in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, or Computer Science. Typically, CAD Operators are required to undergo training on multiple CAD programs and platforms, general computing theory and a variety of productivity applications.
Cost of Training *
A number of computer schools offer training on AUTO CAD with the training period ranging from 48 - 60 hours. The cost of training is around P4,500 - P5,600. Some schools offer a Technical Drafting course with a 1 year duration that will cost approximately P70,000.
The following fields of work need a CAD Operator in their organization :
- Architecture, Industrial Design Engineering;
- Garden design and Construction;
- Building Engineering;
- Mechanical (MCAD);
- Electronic and Electrical (ECAD);
- Manufacturing process planning;
- Digital Circuit design;
- Software Applications; and
- Apparel and Textile CAD.
There are numerous opportunities for CAD Operators, both locally and overseas, since architectural and engineering design are now mostly translated into detailed CAD drawings.A CAD Operator may work in the Construction and Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities industries.
Prospects for Career Advancement
A CAD Operator position is a strong entrance into a variety of work environment. As a fully trained CAD Operator, one can enter the workplace with a standard set of skills that can translate into a wide variety of career tracks. Because they have experience in computers, applications, and operating systems, CAD Operators can step outside of design to get involved in the Information Technology (IT) Department of a company. This move can lead to a career in programming, database management and network administration.
Nature of Work
A CAD (Computer Aided Design) Operator is one who operates a CAD system. In many design environments, the CAD Operator is equivalent to a draftsperson. The CAD Operator’s role is much broader than that of a traditional draftsman because CAD systems require not only traditional drafting or drawing expertise but computer skills as well.
- Responsible for creating the working drawings or other graphical documents that result from the design process;
- May take sketches or specifications from an architect, engineer, or other designers, and translate them into detailed CAD drawings that can be used as the basis for a construction project, or for the manufacture of a product; and
- Maybe responsible for creating finished designs for a project, working primarily from the specifications and other inputs of lead designers.
Skills and Competencies
- A thorough background in traditional drafting and design concepts;
- Mastery of the basics of one or more CAD systems;
- Ability to understand and interpret architectural and other engineering plans, sections, elevations and details;
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area circumference and volume; and to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry;
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; and to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form;
- Familiarity with the following mainstream software programs : PTC Pro-Engineer (Pro-E Wildfire 1.0 or higher preferred) and Autodesk Autocad (Autocad 2000 or higher preferred); experience with PTC Intralink (Intralink 2.0 or higher); and
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Windows applications.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Pro-active, organized and have the ability to take initiative;
- Multi-faceted with the ability to be a team player.
* Based on 2011 rates.