In the Philippines, a Merchandiser’s entry level salary ranges from P9,000 - P12,000 per month and may even go up to P15,000 per month for those highly-trained and experienced. Overseas, such as in the U.S. and Canada, the average monthly salary for a merchandiser in a hotel is $1,960.
Basic Educational Requirement
To be a Merchandiser, one must either be a graduate of any four-year business course or graduate of a short course in merchandising or any related field. Applicants who have at least 2-3 years experience in merchandising/retailing industry will surely have an advantage.
Cost of Education *
A four-year course in any business course would normally cost around P35,000 to P45,000 per semester in private schools and universities. However, in public educational institutions that offer the same discipline, tuition fee would cost about 20%-40% less.
Experienced Merchandisers remains highly needed especially in the Middle East where in they patronize the ability of Filipinos when it comes to sales talk. United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia offers good compensation fee compared to other Middle Eastern countries. Merchandisers may be employed in the following industries: Manufacturing, Wholesale and Retail Trade, Repair of Motor Vehicles, Motorcycles and Personal and Household Goods, and Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Promotion can be easily obtained for highly skilled Merchandisers. They can be promoted as Senior Merchandiser or Store Supervisor or Manager. Merchandisers can also put up their own merchandising/retailing business.
Nature of Work
A Merchandiser is responsible in the distribution of products in its designated store. Part of his/her job is to ensure that the products delivered has the right quantity, payments, and delivered in the right place.
- Communicates with retailers and buyers regarding the product, i.e. prices, quantity, warranty, etc;
- Ensures that the products are sent to its designated place;
- Checks the products before the delivering to its designated stores;
- Plans and gives price tags on each product depending on the quantity, sales, deals and demand;
- Makes time to time check on the stock products;
- Ensures the quality of the product, its status, appearance before sending to clients;
- Checks and analyzes the sales of the product;and
- Makes deals with buyers and prospective buyers.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge in merchandising and retailing industry;
- Must have knowledge in sales marketing;
- Ability to detect changes and damages in products;and
- Must be keen on details.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Must have the ability to convince;
- Ability to do sales talk and close deals with suppliers and buyers;
- Can communicate well with clients;
- Must have the ability to use the English command, both oral and written;and
- Must have good analytical skills.
* Based on tuition fee rates for school year 2010-2011.