Human Resource Assistant
In the Philippines, a Human Resource Assistant entry level salary ranges from P10,000 - P13,000 per month and may even go up to P15,000 per month for those highly-trained and experienced. Overseas, such as in the U.S. & Canada, the annual average salary for a human resource assistant is $33,000 or $2,760 per month.
Basic Educational Requirement
Human Resource Assistant positions require any four-year course, and one to three months related experience and/or training. Any equivalent combination of education and experience is an advantage.
Cost of Education *
There is no specific educational requirement to be a Human Resource Assistant. However, employers often prefer applicants with a bachelors degree particularly in Psychology or Behavioral Science. A four-year course would normally range from P25,000 - P45,000 per semester in private universities and about P10,000 to P15,000 in public institutions.
When a Human Resource Assistant has undergone and completed several trainings, he/she can develop a career as a generalist, or specialize in areas like people resourcing, learning and development or employee relations. Classically, his/her career path will go from junior to senior assistant to officer to manager to director. Human Resource Assistants can work in the following industries: Manufacturing, Electricity, Gas and Water Supply, Construction, Wholesale and Retail Trade, Hotels and Restaurants, Transport, Storage and Communication, Financial Intermediation, Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities, Public Administration and Defense, Compulsory Social Security, Education, Health and Social Work, and, Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities.
Prospects for Career Advancement
With additional training, education, or experience, Human Resource Assistants can advance to other positions in human resource departments. They may become personnel schedulers and human resource specialists. Some may move into supervisory positions. Human Resource Assistants may choose to move into other clerical positions, such as credit clerk or charge account clerk.
Nature of Work
Human Resource Assistants assist human resources managers or administrators. They provide clerical and technical support in such areas as recruiting, hiring, compensation, and benefits. These assistants gather information on employees’ training, skills, wages, promotions, and general work history. They record this information by hand or on a word processor. Then they use the data to update personnel files. Human Resources Assistants maintain these files and search them for information requested by current and prospective employers and even credit agencies. They also prepare employee reports for managers in the organization.
- Administers and scores applicant and employee aptitude, personality, and interest assessment instruments;
- Arranges for advertising or posting of job vacancies, and notifies eligible workers of position availability;
- Arranges for in-house and external training activities; and
- Explains company personnel policies, benefits, and procedures to employees or job applicants.
Skills and Competencies
- Enjoy working with people;
- Have problem solving skills;
- Must have good commercial awareness; and
- Must have good spoken and written communication skills.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Respect the importance of confidentiality, as they will be dealing with employees’ personal details;
- Able to work accurately, with good attention to detail;
- Must be patient, tactful, diplomatic and approachable;
- Dedication to work;
- Must have the ability to stay calm in difficult situations.
* Based on 2011 rates.