Computer Support Specialist
Entry level salary ranges from P18,000 - P23,000 per month and may even go up to P28,000 per month for highly-trained and experienced Computer Support Specialists. In the US, the median monthly pay is around US $3,652.
Basic Educational Requirement
Due to the wide range of skills required, there are many paths of entry to a job as a Computer Support Specialist. Training requirements for Computer Support Specialist positions vary, but many employers prefer to hire applicants with some formal education. A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems is a pre-requisite for some jobs; other jobs, however, may require only a computer-related associate degree. For some jobs, relevant computer experience and certifications may substitute for formal education. In the absence of a degree, however, certification and practical experience are essential. Certification training programs, offered by a variety of vendors and product makers, may help some people to qualify for entry-level positions.
Cost of Education *
The cost of pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree (4-year course) in Computer Science may cost from P110,000 to as high as P300,000 depending on the educational institution the student is enrolled in.
The extensive use of computers has created demand for Computer Support Specialists who provide advice to users, as well as for the day-to-day administration, maintenance, and support of computer systems and networks. And with the influx of Business Process Outsourcing (BPOs) firms and call centers in the country, prospects for these types of workers also expanded.
Prospects for Career Advancement
Computer Support Specialists who are just starting their career, usually work for organizations that deal directly with customers or in-house users. They may advance into positions in which they use what they have learned from customers to improve the design and efficiency of future products. Job promotions usually depend more on performance than on formal education. Eventually, some Computer Support Specialists become software engineers, designing products rather than assisting users. Computer Support Specialists in hardware and software companies often enjoy great upward mobility; advancement sometimes comes within months of becoming employed.
Nature of Work
A Computer Support Specialists helps people use computers. When something goes wrong, support specialists figure out why and fix it.
- Provides technical assistance, support, and advice to customers and other users;
- Interprets problems and provide technical support for hardware, software, and systems; and
- Analyzes problems by using automated diagnostic programs, and resolve recurring difficulties.
Skills and Competencies
- Must have strong problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills;
- Excellent writing and comprehension skills ;
- Knowledge in detecting computer viruses;
- Must have knowledge in the different software applications.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Active listener;
- Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem; and
- Ability to pay attention to details.
* Based on 2011 rates.