In the Philippines, a HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning) Technician’s entry level salary ranges from P12,000 - P22,000 per month. In the U.S., the average salary per month for an HVAC technician
Basic Educational Requirement
An individual may become a HVAC Technician through study at trade and technical schools, as well as some vocational colleges. Programs generally take two years to complete, and may also include an apprenticeship with a certified HVAC provider. Generally, an apprenticeship may last from two to four years, and may be conducted concurrently with the formal education process. Upon completion of the formal study, additional testing is administered before certification is awarded.
Cost of Training *
The training cost for HVAC Technicians approximately P16,000 for 48 hours.
Technicians may work for large or small contracting companies or directly for a manufacturer or wholesaler. Those working for smaller operations tend to do both installation and refrigeration equipment. HVAC technicians can work in the following industries: Manufacturing, Electricity, Gas and Water Supply, Construction, Wholesale and Retail Trade, Hotels and Restaurants, Transport, Storage and Communication, Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities, and, Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities
Prospects for Career Advancement
Advancement in this career usually takes the form of increased compensation. Apprentice HVAC technicians normally receive half the compensation of their experienced counterparts. Tenured HVAC technicians may become crew managers, service managers or move into sales or marketing.
Nature of Work
A HVAC Technician is a professional that labors in the field of heating, ventilation, air conditioning service and support. Essentially, the HVAC Technician will be associated with either the installation process for HVAC systems, or focus on the repair and maintenance of systems that are already in place. The HVAC Technician may work as an independent contractor or be employed by a company that specializes in climate control solutions for businesses and residential properties.
- Responsible for making sure the installation is conducted in compliance with local regulations, and that the unit will provide efficient heating and air conditioning for the space
- Maintains and inspects the ductwork installation;
- Makes use of acceptable practices, methods, and tools used in installing, maintaining and repairing airconditio-ning and related air handling equipment of large tonnage;
- Troubleshoots/repairs on equipment such as leaks, defects, condensers, compressors and HVAC units; and
- Keeps records and maintains operating file on machine information as needed for proper service and maintenance
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledgeable in the basic principles of heating and ventilation systems;
- Knowledgeable in the basic parameters of airconditioning systems such as suction superheat, sub cooling, discharge superheat, pressure ratio and approach;
- Basic understanding of microelectronics; and
- Proficient in reading blueprints.
Physical Attributes and Characteristics
- Physically Fit
- Able to work well with others;
- Detail oriented; and
- Patient and result oriented.
* Based on 2011 rates.